Stephen A. Manuele
A proud Western New York native with 20+ years of experience providing a wide range of clients with strategic legal advice on complex matters, Stephen Manuele possesses broad expertise across legal domains. His knowledge encompasses transactional and contract work, litigation, medical malpractice, professional & products liability, nursing home abuse, toxic tort, general negligence, class action, and employment discrimination.
As an Partner at The Tarantino Law Firm, LLP, Stephen defends clients in a variety of complex litigation, preparing cases for alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and/or trial and handling all aspects of the litigation process from investigation, pleadings, and discovery through trial, settlement, and/or appeal. Additionally, Stephen regularly advises health care professionals, practices, hospitals, and nursing homes on industry-specific legal issues, such as privacy, fraud & abuse, peer review & quality assurance, contracts, reimbursement, professional licensing, and compliance inquiries. He has represented client interests before various state and federal administrative agencies, including the NY Office of Professional Discipline, NY Office of Professional Medical Conduct, NY State Division of Human Rights, NY State Department of Labor, NY State Workers' Compensation Board, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Since 2010, Stephen has served as general counsel for Chautauqua County's largest health system, UPMC Chautauqua (formerly WCA Hospital). As general counsel, he represented the hospital during its cross-border affiliation with the nationally recognized healthcare system, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC), over a four-year period; he played a key role in negotiating the merger, conducting due diligence, and facilitating meetings with specialty counsel, political activists, and members of the NY State Department of Health. Stephen's strong track record extends beyond his work as general counsel; recently, he successfully defended a physician in a medical malpractice case involving negligent selection and installation of an artificial cervical disk. He has also obtained a 100% success rate on Mental Hygiene Law cases taken to trial.
An accomplished public presenter, Stephen routinely speaks at local medical conferences, universities, and continuing legal education courses, where he contributes insight and education on key legal matters impacting the healthcare industry.
Stephen obtained his Juris Doctor from the University at Buffalo and holds a Bachelor of Science in biology from Syracuse University and a Bachelor of Arts in political science from Niagara University. He also maintains several active bar memberships, including with the State of New York and the U.S. District Court's Western & Northern Districts. He is proud to have been recognized as a top-rated lawyer for professional liability and medical practice in upstate New York by leading legal rating service Super Lawyers.
- New York
- U.S. Federal Courts
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of New York
- State University of New York, Buffalo School of Law, Buffalo, New York
- Niagara University
- Major: Political Science
- University at Buffalo Medical School Grand Rounds, "OBGYN Medical Legal Seminar" (2021)
- University at Buffalo Medical School Grand Rounds, “Contract Negotiations and Disability Insurance” (2019)
- University at Buffalo Medical School Grand Rounds, Physician Employment Agreements" (2022, 2021, 2020, 2018, 2017)
- Annual Buffalo Niagara Dental Meeting (Sponsored by MLMC), "Hot Topics for Dental Students and Residents - Top Considerations Before You Start Practicing" (2021)
- AIG, “Nursing Home Litigation in New York State” (2016)
- Continuing Legal Education Course, "Essentials of Employment Law" (2016)
- Continuing Legal Education Course, Stark Law & Federal Kickback Statute Webinar” (2016)
- Continuing Legal Education Course, “How to Steer Clear of Health Care Fraud and Abuse” (2016)
- Continuing Legal Education Course, “HIPAA: Privacy Regulations” (2014)
- Continuing Legal Education Course, “Sexual, Racial, and Other Harassment in the Workplace” (2014)
- Continuing Legal Education Course, “Health Care Reform - What You Need to Know Now!” (2011)
- Elder Law Center, “Law and Regulation of Sexual Abuse Reporting in Nursing Homes” (2012)
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers: Top-Rated Lawyer, Professional Liability and Medical Malpractice — Upstate New York (2017-2022)
- Buffalo Business First: Legal Elite of Western New York (2017-2019)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- Western New York Defense Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- DRI For the Defense Magazine: “Administrative Challenges to Reports and Associated Torts” (2012)